Friday, October 8, 2010

We survived the first week!

Well, the first day was definitely the hardest. I got back into the swing of things at work pretty fast on Monday. Leasa (daycare lady) told me to call her anytime during the day to check on Grace. Well, on Monday, I called around 10 in the morning (after much hesitation because I didn't want to hear bad news). And bad news I did hear! Grace was NOT taking to her new surroundings well at all! She was crying a lot, was not taking the bottle, was NOT sleeping, etc. I should not have called, because then I could not stop thinking about how bad I felt. Still, I had to wait until 1:30 to head out of work. At 1:30, I practically ran out of the door, and I'm sure I would have gotten a speeding ticket a few times on my way to pick up Grace. I think I may have run a red light too...oops!

Anyway, I walked in the door, and I have never seen Grace looking so overtired. Her eyes were bloodshot and red-rimmed. Leasa handed her to me, she looked up at me and half smiled, then put her head on my chest and immediately fell asleep!!! She slept about 15 minutes in the 6 hours she was there. Poor little thing...I felt so bad! We both had a very bad night sleep that night. Grace probably had night mares about going back....(hahaha) and I kept thinking about other options. (Should I try to work less? Plan to leave work to breastfeed her? Move her to a daycare closer to home?) Ugh. What to do?

Well, Erik helped me to think things through and give it at least a week. Well, by Tuesday, she was already doing better! By Wednesday, she was taking two 30 minute naps, smiling and cooing a lot. I was feeling MUCH better about this situation. Grace seems to be taking very well to Leasa now, and enjoys watching the other little boys play (they are both 12 months old). She is exploring new toys, and when Leasa's husband comes home for lunch he sings to her and loves it!
She is still not taking the bottle, but LOVES rice cereal. Which is great, because then I know she won't starve! (Otherwise I'd be leaving work to breastfeed her).
I think we are going to make it...... :-)

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you survived your first week sara! We love you and can't wait to see you in a couple short weeks. Give that baby kisses, and love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the updates, sara! so glad to hear that the week got better. it's amazing how quickly kids adjust, much faster than we do! hope you're all having a great weekend. miss you all!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete